Being a blog of writerly ramblings and jotted notes “For what is said is forgotten in time, but that which is written endures"
February 27, 2012
"Whatever You Do"
So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. Give no offense to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God, just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved.
1 Corinthians 10:31-33 (ESV)
These are the verses that come to mind whenever I think about my writing. As I have drawn closer to God in the past year and a half, I have come to realize that every single one of my passions, desires, and pursuits should and must conform to God and be solely for His glory. And writing is at the top of that list. Why? Because it's the hardest.
Serving God with my violin isn't that difficult. Music played to Him and His glory has always been at the forefront of my mind as I have learnt and played this instrument. But writing... that is something much more difficult.
You see, anyone can write. You need only a keyboard or pen and paper. However, not many can write. In other words, not many can write something worth reading. But I, as a Christian and son of the Author of all creation, have a still higher calling. I am called to not only write something worth reading, but something that glorifies Him in the process.
"So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God."
But here's the really tricky part.
"Give no offense to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God."
Not only does my writing have be good, worthy of reading and glorifying to God, but it must also be above reproach from without.
Now, this varies slightly based on the audience, of course. If I am writing strictly to a Christian audience, then my writing is going to be largely geared towards them and the common knowledge we all share. But if I am writing both to my fellow Christians and the world, then it must also accessible and grabbing to those who do not share my love of Christ. How can I do both? How can I share the Gospel truth (literally!), while not turning away those whom I am trying to reach?
Well, Christ Himself has given us a strategy in His word.
"Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 (ESV)
Boom! Right there. If I can write a tale that grabs my reader from the beginning, starting them out on an innocent little roller coaster of a tale, and then pull the ground out from under their feet, then I will have done all I can do. Every book, movie, or song is a journey for those who read, watch or listen to it. I only hope my books take them on a journey that leads them somewhere worth going.
And finally:
"just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved."
I do not write because I want to be recognized, or because I somehow feel that the world deserves my writing. I write because God has called me to do so. And if He uses it to bring people to Himself, then to Him belongs the glory.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Brilliant post! Though I don't quite share the strength of your faith - though I sometimes wish I could - I wholeheartedly concur with the notion of making your work worthwhile, and do it because God gave you the gift. I reckon he'd be mightily peeved if either of us didn't make use of what he gives us, eh?
ReplyDeleteI love the foresight Jesus has in that passage - even he wasn't into offensive literature, eh? I try and put something for everyone in my work, and I would never, ever want to be labelled an offensive writer. I write to make my neighbour happy just as much as myself! Or, at least, I hope I do.
Fab post - never stop :)
"I only hope my books take them on a journey that leads them somewhere worth going." < Brilliant line. Absolutely sums it up.
ReplyDeleteAwesome post. I just love coming over here and reading your insightful, thoughtful, and faith-inspiring posts. Keep up the awesomeness. :-)