Well, some of ya'll might know, and some of ya'll might not, but, in addition to being a writer, I do a great deal of dabbling in directing. As of right now, I am one credits song and some cg shots away from finishing my current movie (which I happen to have been working on for two years now), so it's time to start a new one!
I will actually not be directing this particular one, my good friend Breggo will, (He's the one who cowrote the Soldier's Words song with me), so I fall into my common role of Producer. Which basically means I'm responsible for making sure everything gets done and can be done. We don't have a castle? We'll build one! We don't have a waterfall? Switch it to a quiet pond.
However, I also happen to be the scriptwriter on this one. Which is tricky. Why? Because I am not a scriptwriter. I am a novel writer. Script formatting annoys me. In fact, even though I am writing in the script in a slightly organized way, I am absconding the usual formatting for my own invention, which basically reads like parts of the Old English Pilgrim's Progress. You know, where they have:
Christian: bla bla bla
Faithful: bla bla bla
Chris: bla bla bla
Faith: bla bla bla
Anyways... that's pretty close to how I'm doing it. Because, in the end, it really doesn't matter how the paper is set up, as long as the story is told well and comes across the right way. So, before I can even set about writing the script, we have to have a good story. But before we get that, we have to have a structure. Because not only does it have to be a good story, but we have to be able to tell it well. And that means we get a few practical limitations.
1. We have to be able to film most (if not all), in camera. Special effects and computer graphics can be done, but for a no-budget film... yea. It becomes hard to find free stuff there.
2. We have to have enough actors. When your extras are under twenty, you can't do a full-scale battle. Well, you can... but it won't look good. (Trust me, I speak from experience)
3. We have to have good locations. We don't have the luxury of Peter Jackson to be able to go to New Zealand. Which means any locations 1) need to be close and 2) have to look semi-realistic without too much modification. We can't exactly build Helm's Deep in the back woods.
4. We have to keep the time requirements down. Most of our actors are at least in high school if not college, probably have a part time job, and definitely have a family who takes first precedence. If we can do it just as well in a shorter time, then don't do it
So, what are we left with? A short movie, with minimal actors, minimal locations, and nothing too spectacular. And after much debate and discussion, me and Breggo think we have the answer. A series of short episodes focusing around four or five main characters, all set out in the woods. And because we can, and we love to, it's set in a middle ages period. Bring out the swords, baby!
What's next? The story! But that's coming next post. Hold onto your seats till then, folks!
Farjag, Producer/Scriptwriter
Wheeee! I've always wanted to have a go at making a film but, like you, I'm a novelist ... and at boarding school, which makes my choice of location (and cast of actors, and setting!) very limited.
ReplyDeleteMediaeval stuff in the woods ... bring it on indeed! Will you be showing us any bits and pieces of your completed one, or the WIP? I hope so - it sounds really awesometastic :)
- Charley, Blog Reader/Film fangirl
I definitely hope to show bits and pieces (or at least a trailer), but it will mostly depend on whether my actors would like their faces online. I'll at least be posting concept art, so you can look forward to that!
DeleteWell said sir. Even I'm excited about your next post, even if I already kinda know what's coming!
ReplyDeleteDon't worry mate, as soon as this first series is over with, I'll be taking on the task of script-writing, so you need not endure the pain for long! I for one take much enjoyment out of script-writing!
Your brother in Christ,
Breggo
Glad to be at your side, brother! And I totally need to get you to write a guest post! "And now... from the director himself..." :)
DeleteGlad to have you on my side! Hey, I'm available at any time!:)
DeleteSounds epic! :-D I wish I could do that. I've "shot" a few goofy short films with my brothers (think 10 minute long spoofs), but nothing actually cool like that. I want to muchly....
ReplyDeleteOh yes, I understand about the script-writing format. I did Script Frenzy one year....Not a big fan.
ReplyDeleteI'm impressed though, with the rest of it! I have no producer tendencies whatsoever.