October 24, 2011

A Reason to Write

When I sent last year's novel to one of my dear writer friends for critiquing, this was part of his reply:

"With a future story, I would like to see a little more meaning. The reason I stopped writing [my last story] was because I saw that in light of eternity I was writing a book that neither challenged my view of the world and God or the reader’s worldview. For your next story, spend time in prayer asking God what he would have you focus on in your story."

He went on to give more specific likes and dislikes, all of them very helpful, but none so poignant and deep-cutting as the first. I thought long and hard about his encouragement, but couldn't quite wrap my mind around how to really accomplish this in the fantasy setting I had created. (Probably because I didn't take his advice and seriously pray for guidance).
However, recently I was freshly convicted of this lack in my writing through the musings of several other writer friends on their blogs. Each had different styles, genres and advice on how to write well, but all of them pointed back to God in a way that cut deep. I hadn't been seeking to include my Maker in my writing as much as I should have been.
Since that time, I have been thinking deeply about this problem, and praying, asking the Lord for the guidance I realized I needed. And he answered me, as he always will.
The main problem I was having in my current novel, Feather and Fang, was that neither of my main characters were the kind of men who would point to the Maker with their actions and words. And if tried to change one of them into such a man, it would render them unbelievable as a character (as far as how I had written them so far goes).
But I believe I have finally worked out a solution which will not only fix that problem, but add another layer to the story as a whole and the character development which had been lacking before (see previous posts on Redpaw and Crestlen).
Basically, I decided that while Crestlen is self-proclaimed atheist, Redpaw believes in the Maker. However, he struggles with matching his duty to this country and his wish to honor his Maker. He is sent to get rid of a dangerous assassin, but when does his enemy become his neighbor? When does killing a foe become the right thing to do? He knows what is right, but is often hard pressed to actually do it.
However, his actions catch Crestlen's eye, especially his courage against all odds, and refusal to despair. As the two mortal enemies are forced to work together to survive, Redpaw's moral dilemma comes to a head. How can he let an enemy of his country live? When does mercy replace justice?
Meanwhile, Crestlen is struggling with similar questions. How can you kill someone who has shown you mercy? How can any conscience, however seared, not be affected by slitting the throat of the man who fought at your back?
Halfway through their journey, they will meet someone who challenges both of their beliefs and mindsets.  The questions he asks will give them both fresh perspectives on each other, and what the Maker desires of them. Other themes I hope to thread throughout are the true meaning of honor, courage, and what makes a man a man. When they exit the Brightgorge, they will be changed men, and whatever trappings of old habits remain will speedily be burnt away in the fires that await them beyond. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked the post (or conversely, didn't) leave a comment! It helps me keep in touch with my readers, and gives you opportunities for constructive criticism and feedback! Thanks for reading!