April 18, 2012

Why Can't I Write Screenplays?

Oh, mine readers, alack and alay! 
I cannae write meself a screenplay!
Bogged down afore three pages are writ,
Caught up in th' format, lines, an' bloomin' script,
Th' images be in me own expandin' head,
But I cannae write them if I be dead,
Kilt by Courier font, a true an' deadly beast,
O' all my problems, the plot is th' least.

Arrg. Tis true. I have had at least five screenplay ideas over the past two weeks, all of them fully filmable* with the resources I and my fellow filming friends** have . But I can't write a single one of them down to save my life! The dialogue and characters are floating around in my head, shiny and resplendent mallorn leaves falling softly to the ground, but when I try to put them down on paper, all that comes out are a faded handful of crumbled remains.

It's disheartening to say the least.

Perhaps I'll just have to try writing only the dialogue out, back and forth banter, with minimal action descriptions in between. If that doesn't work, I don't know what I'll do.

I mean, I write entire novels easily! Why can't I write a short little screenplay? Annoying. Anyone have any ideas to help me in my sad state***?




*I really got to stop using alliteration so much. 
** See what I mean?
*** Oi.

7 comments:

  1. Hmmm. That is a dire dilemma (i love alliteration). You could try to write them into novel form and that might help you turn it into a screenplay. That might not help at all but that's the first thing that popped into my mind.

    Hope it helped!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never actually completed a screenplay, though I did go to a class on how to do it. For some reason, the only things that ever come out of me clearly are stories in novel format (and even those are blurry sometimes). I can't write poetry to save anyone's life and every time I attempt screenplays, they come out stiff and uneven and lackluster.

    The best thing I can suggest would be to read other people's screenplays. I learn best by studying what great writers have done, as in reading their works, so if you haven't already, it might be helpful for you to read a few scripts.

    The only thing that I can remotely contribute is: read the dialogue out loud. If you have a hard time saying the lines, chances are it won't sound natural on camera.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hannah JoyApril 18, 2012

    I can't help you there. I am a novel writer.

    But I'd say, write yourself a crummy first draft, rehearse it, and see where it is shaky. Give yourself more chances. Don't give up so easily. I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would readily recommend you read some brilliant books on the simple science of screenwriting. Okay, maybe that's stretching the alliteration a little bit. ;)

    I like Invisible Ink and The Screenwriter's Bible. They helped me alot with writing screenplays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm afraid I've never tried writing screenplays, so I'm no help there - novelist over here, I like my purple prose too much xD

    However .... maybe just taking a break and letting the ideas settle a bit? That helps when I have loads of ideas but can't get going.

    Also, love your poem :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to help you......... Tip #1: Watch MORE MOVIES. And analyze them like your life depended on it.

    Tip #2- Buy or borrow Screenwriting For Dummies. Best book to help you. I lived on it for a long time.

    Tip #3-- Invent a machine or something so we can swap places for a month. I have the exact opposite predicament as you.

    Tip #4-- Close your eyes, turn on some music, and imagine your story like it's already a movie. You saw it last night at the theater and you're trying to remember how it goes..... see it as something already completed that you're just trying to uncover. Maybe that'll help. Might not. But hey, better than nothing right? ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the tips, guys! I'll definitely be using them in the near future!

    ReplyDelete

If you liked the post (or conversely, didn't) leave a comment! It helps me keep in touch with my readers, and gives you opportunities for constructive criticism and feedback! Thanks for reading!